Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Assassin's Creed 2


I'm enjoying Assassin's Creed 2 for the PC. There are so many improvements made compared to the first game. You can use different weapons now, have more various killing moves and new assassination techniques (it's pretty awesome to stab n throw a guard off a roof while hanging just under him or stab a guard from inside a haystack and pull him in).

There's a new economic system in place too. You actually have money and can upgrade your town with it which in turn brings in more money. A lot of people complain that the economy system is pointless but I'm not one of them. The main point of the game is to kill people. I find the economy mini-game is a nice little distraction.





Also, the hidden treasures and feathers in this game have actual uses now (unlike the flags in the first game). Treasures give you money and collecting the feathers will give you some kind of weapon in the end.

There are a lot of "side quests" here now and some of them appear at unexpected times. Like chasing thieves or Borgia's Messengers around towns... and rooftops.

Most importantly, the story is just as interesting as ever. It picks up right after the first Assassin's Creed ends. The story for Altair is over but not the story for the Assassin's Creed series.


There is one thing I don't like about it though.

Even though, I enjoy Assassin's Creed 2, the new Ubisoft DRM is very annoying. You have to maintain a constant internet connection to play the game. In other words, I'm playing an online singleplayer game.

I've already got logged off twice. And it prevents those who have no or choppy internet lines from playing it. I sure will not be buying any consoles just to play these games when my pc will do just fine.

Even though my internet line could maintain it, as a matter of principle, I wont be buying anymore of Ubisoft's games that are infested with this new DRM. Too bad. I was really anticipating Splinter Cell: Conviction.

No comments: