Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Cool Open Source Stuff

I have a collection of useful Open Source drawing applications that I wish to share. They are pretty useful and you can make really good drawing/3D model with them and best of all, they are FREE!

Inkscape is a vector graphics drawing application similar to Adobe Illustrator.

GIMP or GNU Image Manipulation Program is a photo/image editing application that's has a lot of similarities with Adobe Photoshop. It also can be used to make animated GIFs.

Blender lets anyone create 3D models. If you can't afford Maya or 3D Studio Max, Blender would be a good choice.

Google Sketchup is another 3D drawing application. It's not really open source, but it's free. And I like it. :) It's quite limited in functionality compared to Blender, but if you need to make 3D prototypes of your designs, then Sketchup is a very good choice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hreaper,

Normally I will use the Kolour Paint of the KDE to edit my graphic :)

I found the GIMP is hard to use.

Great to hear you have a blog now.

hreaper said...

Not really. GIMP do have a learning curve, but once you get through that, it's smooth sailing. You can make life easier by customizing the shortcut keys to your liking.

I don't have any experience on using Kolour Paint (since it runs on Linux and I use Windows XP) so, I can't compare it to GIMP.

EwA said...

Cool resources.

now trying out GIMP :p
seems ok to use, got anymore good open source recommendations?