Sunday, March 27, 2005

Role Play

Arrrghh!!
My first post in March. AND it's almost at the end of March!!
It's not like anybody cares. ;p

For the past 5 weeks, I've been attending a Role Playing(RP) session. Most people who's familiar with it calls it Pen and Paper RPG. This is what all those RPGs that you've seen in games are based on.

The RP that we played was based on Dungeons and Dragons. There are plenty of other RPs that we could've played (Robotech, Vampire: The Masquerade, Demon: The Fallen etc) but our Dungon Master(DM), Ronnie, started off with something simple and one that noobs like us are familiar with.

You'd most probably say, nah, I don't do role playing. But as our DM said, most of us has role played at some point in their lives. Remember those times when you're young and you played Police Tangkap Pencuri(It) or Make Believe or having a tea party? These are games played by children where they take up the role as someone, be it a police catching a thief, superman, the host of the party etc.
RPs are like that except that you have rules to follow. This is to avoid situations like this:

Boy A: BANG!
Boy B: You missed!
Boy A: No, I didn't! I shot you at the head.
Boy B: Nuh-uh, I dodged it.
Boy A: You can't do that.
Boy B: Oh, yes I can.
(argument ensued)

I Am The LAW
The DM's word is law.
The DM is basically the story teller and refferee. And determines how the story will progress and if he should make your life easier or harder. In this modern day, some DMs have gone to great lengths to provide a more visualable content for their players, like this guy.

There are several die types ranging from a four sided die(d4) to a twenty sided one(d20). Each die is rolled for a different purpose. Though I'm not sure what yet (I need to read more about D&D rules). Suffice to say, we used the 8 sided die(d8) most of the time to determine the success or failure of a particular action.
(e.g. Valchrist did a spot check on the corridor, rolled a 1, didn't find anything, walked in and got attacked by a monster hiding in a corner).

I Made That Up
You can't start the game without a character to role play.
We are all given character sheets to create our character.
Then, we started with picking a race, class, skills, allignment(Good/Netral/Evil or Lawful/Neutral/Chaos) and rolled the dice to determine our stats (STR, CON, INT, DEX, WIS, CHA - I think you guys know what these means).

As we are noobs, we started off as Humans to ease calculations as you don't need to add the racial benefits when rolling the dice.
My character's a Neutral Good Human Cleric named Valchrist. Neutral Good means that I will do anything I can to help people in need whether I know them or not and would do anything to accomplish them. ANYTHING.

And then, we are off!
Here's the log of our first adventure. But since then, our scribe haven't added the logs of our other adventures. <_<

1 comment:

killarkai said...

I care! blog more or die! muahahaha